All Town of Waxhaw taxes can be made by cash, check or online payment. Checks made payable and mailed to:
Town of Waxhaw
PO Box 603983
Charlotte, NC 28260-3983
You may pay online using the online payments website. A convenience fee of 3%, charged by Heartland, will be included in the total payment for making any online payment. The Town of Waxhaw does not receive this convenience fee. The fee goes directly to Heartland for use of their site.
Waxhaw residents pay both city and county property taxes. The 2020 tax year property tax rate is 38.5 cents per $100 of assessed property value. Visit Union County's Tax Department website for more information on county property taxes.
Gap Billing - Personal Property Tax
For more information in regards to Gap Billing – Personal Property Tax, visit the Town of Waxhaw's Gap Billing webpage.
Privilege License Requirements
On July 1, 2015 the Town of Waxhaw stopped collecting Privilege License Taxes and issuing Business Licenses. North Carolina General Statute 160A-211 - Privilege License Taxes - was repealed on May 29, 2014 by the North Carolina General Assembly. However, businesses are still required to obtain any zoning or permitting requirements from the Town of Waxhaw for their business.
Beer and wine licenses are still required. In addition, the following businesses have a separate Town of Waxhaw ordinance in which this repeal does not affect: Vehicles for Hire, Peddlers/Solicitors.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Tax Department at 704-843-2195.
- Beer and Wine License Ordinance
- Beer and Wine Application
- Peddlers and Solicitors Ordinance
- Peddlers and Solicitors License Application
- If you live in the town limits of Waxhaw you will have two tax bills each year. One from Union County, and one from the Town of Waxhaw.
- You can pre-pay for next year’s taxes starting as early as July 1.
- Are your taxes escrowed? Before the delinquency date, due by January 5 each year, try to check on the payment status of your taxes. This will give you time to take care of any problems that may arise before interest starts to accrue.
- The Tax Department is always here to help if you are having trouble making payments. Please call to setup a payment plan. Payments will be divided into six months.
- Did you know when writing a check the handwritten section takes precedence over the number section.
- For example, a check has $995.00 in the number section, but “Nine hundred fifty-five dollars and 00/100” ($955.00) in the written section. The amount that is taken is $955.00.
- If you close your business, notify Union County immediately at (704) 283-3746. Your business is connected to tax bills.
- Did you know there is Tax Relief for an Elderly taxpayer, a Disabled taxpayer or a Disabled Veteran taxpayer. Please see Union County for more information.
- Want to appeal the tax value of your home? Please see Union County for more information.