Main Street News
• NC Main Street Conference: Several members of the Main Street Advisory Board will travel to Shelby, NC on March 14th-16th for the annual NC Main Street Conference. The statewide conference will be an opportunity for board members to learn best practices from experts in the downtown redevelopment field and other NC Main Street Program directors. Find more information here.
• Niven-Price Building alley improvements: In 2016, the Design and Appearance Committee recommended that the Town invest in improving public spaces downtown. As part of that effort, the Town has invested in improvements in the Niven-Price alley, located between 216 W. N. Main Street and 202 W. N. Main Street (The Niven-Price Building and Winning Awards/Tangles Knitting on Main). When completed, the alley will include a sidewalk, improved landscaping, benches, lighting, and most importantly, space for local artists to add further enhancements.
• Downtown Welcomes New Businesses in 2017: So far this year, downtown has added three new businesses.
o Southern Specialties, located at 113 W. S. Main Street, is a locally owned retail boutique.
o David Upchurch Realty, located at 100 E. S. Main Street, is a local real estate office.
o Sospeso Coffee, located at 216 W. N. Main Street, is a local coffee roaster and tasting room.
Millview will be opening in late spring. The new development at the corner of E. S. Main Street and McKibben Street will be home to 10 new businesses, including retail, food service, and office.
On January 24th, 2017, Main Street Advisory Board Chair Neil Gimon presented the first quarter report to the Waxhaw Board of Commissioners. The newly established Main Street Advisory Board will give a report to the commissioners each quarter. The report is available for viewing here.
• Downtown Waxhaw Pedestrian and Bicycle Facility Enhancements: Main Street Program Manager Curt White is currently in contract negotiations with engineering firm Gresham Smith & Partners for design and engineering of the downtown pedestrian, bicycle, and street enhancements known as the TAP grant. We plan to begin design in the spring and construction in January 2018.
• Road resurfacing: The Town of Waxhaw will resurface the following downtown streets within the next 60 days.
o McDonald Street
o Price Street
o Bivens Street
Main Street Advisory Board meetings are open to the public and occur on the second Monday of every month at 6pm in the Duncan McDonald House.